Author Posse is designed to help all authors, from those who dread marketing to the more experienced veteran with multiple books to their name. If you are new to author marketing or have never built a website then you are in the right place. I hope you’ll spend some time perusing the links below then launch an amazing site. And if you already have a website you may want to skip to some of the other resources Author Posse has to offer such as SEO.
- What’s Your Website Strategy: – Blog Post: Regardless of whether you’re a pantser or a planner, having a website strategy before you start building your site is a must.
- How To Create A Website – Article: Long but excellent! The author lays out everything you need to know about starting a website from purchasing your web address (www.yourname.com), to finding a hosting company (a place for your website to live), to picking a website builder. Don’t get frustrated if your head starts to spin in the last section where he tells you how to create pages. Skip to one of the links below instead.
- How To Build An Author Website – Youtube: 30 min – A fellow author talks about how to build author specific websites. She covers everything from navigation (the tabs at the top), to website builders, to costs. It’s fairly full of jargon so feel free to pause and click over to the Vocabulary page any time you don’t understand what she’s talking about.
- Getting Started With WordPress (WordPress 101) – Youtube: 17 min – Perfect for beginners and those of us who are less technical. This is a step by step video on how to install WordPress and get started building your site. The first 6.5 minutes covers how to purchase your domain name and set up a hosting plan so if you’ve already done this you can skip ahead (note: he plugs a hosting plan but there are a ton of them (Google “website hosting”) so you don’t need to use the one he recommends).
- Squarespace Tutorial – Youtube: 21 min – A very easy to follow, step by step guide to building a website on Squarespace.